Rabun County Public LIbrary - O Livro Verme LbNA # 62284
|Placed Date||Jun 25 2012|
|Location||Rabun County Public Library, Clayton, GA|
Welcome to the Rabun County Public Library. Where untold adventures await you found everywhere on these marvelous shelves. This letterbox is placed in honor of the 2012 Summer Reading Program during “Pirate Week,” and presented on June 28, 2012. The first Rabun County Library Letterbox was first created many years ago, also for the summer reading program. This is the same box replanted with new clues. Enjoy.
Welcome Maties. To be a member of the crew of the majestic yet treacherous pirate ship, O Livro Verme*, ye must find the correct pirate ye are to sail under.
Hidden amongst these library shelves (“the harbours”) is the treasured Rabun County Library Letterbox – the ”ship.” Find it by following the clues which will lead ye to its hidden location. Plunder the box, but when you are done, place it back carefully. Remember to keep ye pirate oath regarding this secret, only those rightfully seeking should be able to find this treasure and join the crew. To do otherwise, ye be flogged and made to walk the plank!
Get Started: Any good ship hand must know their way around the deck, as ye must get to know our library and how to use its resources. Without delay, see if ye are worthy to find ye Captain and his ship.
1. Look around the room. There is an object that pirates could have used for navigation.
2. On this object is a plaque announcing a dedication. Write this person’s name here: __________ ___________ _______________ and the year of dedication: ___________.
3. Using the last name only, get on the PINES system and identify the author with the same last name and first name of Betsy. List the title of her book: ______ ___________ ________________ written in 1989.
4. Locate this book. (Note: If it is off the shelf, ye will have to ask a librarian for help. Any of the fine lasses will do. If it is checked out, and only after she confirms this, may she confess the answer to this next clue.)
5. Open this book. Locate the first letter of the first word on the pages numbered below. Write the letter that corresponds to the page number to spell out an object used by pirates to identify themselves.
__ __ __ __ __ R __ __ __ R
37 58 16 18 109 19 86 52
6. Name a good REFERENCE book ye’d use to look up the object in #5.
___________________ ___________________ 2007 Edition.
7. Using the answer in #5, look it up in the answer from #6. Follow the orders from this reference book. It will lead ye elsewhere.
8. If ye have found the correct book and page, ye shall see many examples of the object from clue #5. Name ye Captain by finding the one that is his, which is second down on the left!
9. Ye Captain is waiting in the harbour for his crew and is anxious to set sail. Don’t make him angry! Look up his name, using the PINES catalog. It should be the first listing with a 2007 copyright date. Find the book location and ye find him and O Livro Verme. Write the book’s location here: ________________.
10. Now, use keen eyes to locate the ship hidden in this harbour. Respectfully ask to join his crew. If granted, enter ye identity and pledge ye allegiance in his logbook (by using ye stamp) and share in the bountiful booty and loot from the ship’s coffer!
*The name of the “ship” is fictitious. This real pirate began his “career” off the coast of Príncipe, the northern and smaller of the two major islands of the country of São Tomé and Príncipe, lying off the west coast of Africa (wiki). The official language is Portuguese. We’ve done our best translation – perhaps you can figure it out.
To read more about ye new captain, flip through the book in clue # 9, but it must be replaced so other worthy crewhands may find their way.